Sunday, August 28, 2011

Interview With Brandon Snyder

Last week 333 West Camden Street had the honor to chat with Orioles/Tides 1B/3B Brandon Snyder.

Thank you Brandon for taking the time out of your schedule to do this!


333: You got drafted by the O's as the 13th overall pick back in 2005. Most mock drafts had Chris Volstad going at that spot. How surprised were you to hear your name called?


Snyder: It was a big surprise to me to hear my name called because I really hadn't heard a lot from the Orioles. I guess because I was right in their backyard they had seen me a lot but didn't have the interaction that I had with the other clubs. I honestly thought I would go to either the Reds or the Marlins.


333: You were drafted right out of high school, and received a full scholarship offer to play at LSU; one of the top baseball schools in the country. What went into your decision of declining the scholarship and going to the pros?


Snyder: I had always dreamed of playing at LSU and for me to sign I needed a monetary amount that would allow me to play this game and have a fall back because I wasn't going to have my education. I was always really good at making sure I had my grades as a back up so that when I went to college I could choose wherever I wanted to go so it was a very tough decision.


333: How does it feel to look back and say you were drafted ahead of guys like MVP-candidate Jacoby Ellsbury, Matt Garza, and Chris Volstad?


Snyder: To me the draft really doesn't matter once it is over. Once you are on the field I believe everyone is playing for the same goal. Obviously the higher you are drafted the more a team has invested in you and are afforded more opportunities. However it only matters how you go out and play every day..


333: You were originally drafted as a catcher. What was it like making the transition to first base?


Snyder: I have enjoyed the transition to first and now third as well. Obviously being able to reach the major leagues at first was a big accomplishment for me because it was something I had to work really hard at. It's always good to see the work you put into something pay off.


333: Is the feeling of getting a call-up still as satisfying as it was the very first time?


Snyder: Getting the call for the first time is an amazing feeling and it's hard to top but every time you get a chance to put on a big league uniform it is a special thing and I embrace every second I have the chance to do so.


333: What has been the biggest adjustment you’ve had to make since you’ve been in pro ball?


Snyder: The mental daily grind of going out and playing every day. It is way under rated and the hardest ing to get accustomed to. Also the physical grind of a 162 game season.


333: Guys are always getting called up, sent down, traded, released, etc. Does that make it tough to be close with your teammates, or not so much?


Snyder: I have had a lot of friends in this game that are here on day and gone the next and it is hard to get accustomed to. But in the same sense it's a great way to meet a lot of good people and the true friends you make you keep in touch with and I have friends that I made in 2005 that I still talk to to this day.


333: Your big league skipper, Buck Showalter, is supposed to be a very smart baseball guy. Have you gotten a chance to pick his brain much since his arrival in Baltimore?


Snyder: I haven't been around him enough to be able to pick his brain too much but the little time I have spent with him has been great for me in regards to my "baseball IQ". Some of the things he points out people would never think about and he is very meticulous in the way he runs the club.


333: One word to describe Brandon Snyder is:


Snyder: Hungry. I am just waiting for an opportunity to play every day and show that I can belong up in Baltimore. 


333: What should we expect to see from Brandon Snyder in the near future? 


Snyder: To be honest in this game you have to go one day at a time. I hope that I get my opportunity to show that I can play this game at the highest level. Whether it's with this organization or not is to be determined but my goal is to continue to work hard and make things happen. 


333: What’s something that you really want to tell your fans?


Snyder: I would like to tell them thank you for sticking with me throughout the years I know that things haven't been as smooth as everyone would like, including myself, but I know what I can do and I can't wait to be able to show them that I am worth it. We have great fans and I feel very fortunate to have so many great people in my corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment